Disclosure of Conflict of Interest
At JCA Meetings/Conferences, the lead presenter and the responsible researcher, their spouse, family related in the first degree, or people who share income/property with them must declare and disclose their COIs (the “responsible researcher” in general denotes persons such as the Principle Investigator of the research laboratory or the Corresponding Author in the case of submission of an original research paper to a journal). In accordance with “JCA Conflict of Interest Policy in Cancer Research”, please disclose COIs. JCA may penalize the presenters in the event of failure to disclose COI, in accordance with its disciplinary code.
Standards of Declaration and Disclosure
- Existence or otherwise of position as an officer of or an advisor (including consultant, etc.)
to companies or for-profit organizations (hereinafter the “Companies, etc.” )
shall be declared if the annual value of remuneration from a single Company etc.
is 1 million Japanese yen or more. If any of the declarer’ s Relatives, etc. is an employee of the
Companies, etc., this shall also be declared.
- Ownership of equities (such as shares and stock options) and profit obtained from
those equities shall be declared if the annual value of profit on shares of a single Company, etc.
(total sum of dividends and proceeds from the sale of shares) is 1 million Japanese yen or more,
or the proportion of shares owned in the Company, etc. is 5% or more.
Ownership of stock options and so on shall be declared if latent profit from them is
1 million Japanese yen or more.
- Patent royalties or transfer gains by the Companies, etc. shall be declared if the
annual total value received from a single Company, etc. is 1 million Japanese yen or more.
- Lecture fees, honoraria, or other fees paid by the Companies, etc. for the time or labor
of a researcher engaged for conference attendance (as a lecturer, chairperson, ad hoc advisor, etc.)
shall be declared if the annual total value received from a single Company, etc.
is 500,000 Japanese yen or more.
- Manuscript fees paid by the Companies etc. for the writing of pamphlets, etc. shall be declared
if the annual total value received from a single Company, etc. is 500,000 Japanese Japanese yen or more.
- Research funds (such as contracted research funds, joint research funds, and clinical trial funds)
provided under contract by the Companies, etc. or by non-profit organizations funded by the Companies, etc.
shall be declared if annual total amounts of direct cost paid from a single Company, etc.
or organization to the declarer is 1 million Japanese yen or more.
If the declarer personally receives any consideration from the Companies, etc.,
it shall be declared separately.
- Scholarship (incentive) endowments
from the Companies, etc.
or research grants provided from a private academic support organization shall be declared
if a total of 1 million Japanese yen or more per year is allocated as direct cost from such funds from a single Company, etc.
or organization to an individual declarer or the department (lecture/area of specialization etc.)
or research facility an individual declarer belongs to,
with substantial control over its use given to that individual.
- An endowed chair etc. funded by the Companies, etc. shall be declared if the declarer is affiliated with the chair.
A researcher, etc. sent or provided by the Companies, etc.
shall be declared if the declarer is the representative of the research facility with which
the researcher, etc. is affiliated, regardless of whether or not employment costs for the researcher, etc.
have been accepted.
- Any other remuneration (travel expenses, gifts, etc., that are not directly related to research)
shall be declared if the annual value of such remuneration received from a single Company, etc.
is 50,000 Japanese yen or more.
How to disclose your COI
- You are required to disclose any state of conflict of interest existing at any time during the past one year in connection with the subject of the presentation.
- Oral presentation: If there is any COI, the oral presenter should use the disclosure slide to present COI after the title slide in order to clarify the names of companies and/or associations in question. If there is no COI,the presenter should indicate ‘I/We have no financial relationships to disclose.'
- Poster presentation: If there is any COI, the poster presenter should disclose the names of companies and/
or associations in question at the bottom area of the poster.
If there is no COI, the presenter should indicate ‘I/We have no financial relationships to disclose.’
(Officers/employees of companies)
Please indicate the name of the company in the presentation documents.
You do not need to disclose COI (however, if there is any COI with companies other than your own company, please declare it).
For inquiries concerning COI
Japanese Cancer Association Executive Office
COI declaration and disclosure